Simpson Memorial Home in West Liberty
Mrs. Nora Simpson was born October 18, 1873, near Brooklyn, Iowa. Nora passed away February 20, 1968 a resident of West Liberty since 1901. Her husband, Howard, had been the successful owner and operator of a dry goods store in West Liberty from 1901 until his death on May 21, 1938.
Mrs. Simpson was an active member of the community and in 1954 signed her Will, in which she left assets for the purpose of purchasing a site and establishing the Simpson Memorial Home. The estate closed in December of 1970 and the planning period for the construction of the home began.
In November of 1972 the present site was acquired from Ben and Kathleen Whittington. The Whittington site was ideal because it overlooked the Middle School grounds and allowed for the development of sites where residents could enjoy watching the activities of children.
The Simpson Memorial Home was formally dedicated and opened for business June 28, 1975.
Health care of the highest quality is provided in the attractive environment of our 65-bed health center. A courtyard, walking paths and beautiful gardens are enjoyed along with social activities planned to encourage interaction among our residents and community.
Nutritious and tasty meals are served in the spacious dining room that overlooks the school lawns next door.
Rehabilitative services are offered in our equipped therapy room promoting continued independence in mobility and wellness. Modern and attractive whirlpool bathing units are available for all residents.
Simpson Memorial Home, Inc. partners with Aegis Therapies to provide speech, occupational and physical therapy. Aegis is one of the largest and most successful contract rehabilitation companies in the country who provides rehabilitation services primarily to residents of skilled nursing and assisted living facilities.
Aegis Therapies mission is “To share our passion for improving quality of life – one person, one family and one community at a time.” From proven clinical capabilities and professional staffing – to compliance management and exclusive rehabilitative programs – Aegis successfully achieves its mission every day.
After a resident has completed their therapy on campus the Therapy Department works closely with our Restorative Aides to ensure the right regimen are put in place to maintain and strengthen results received through therapy.
Physical Therapy can assist with:
- Restoration, maintenance and promotion of optimal physical function, wellness & quality of life
- Prevention of diseases, disorders, progression of impairments or injuries
- Treatment of multiple medical diagnoses with impairments of weakness, poor balance, falls, etc
- Pain management techniques
- Clinicians with specialties in wound care, complex disease management, and falls and balance
Occupational Therapy can assist with:
- Maximizing functional independence with activities of daily living
- Implementing activities to increase fine and gross motor coordination
- Treatment of cognitive impairments
- Pain management techniques
- Clinicians with specialties in urinary incontinence and dementia
Speech Therapy can assist with:
- Swallowing disorders, cognitive or memory impairment and expression of basic needs/communication
- Swallowing strategies and strengthening of oral muscles
- Cognitive impairments by working on tasks to improve memory and/or strategies to assist with aiding memory
- Treatment of voice quality and volume.
- Clinicians with specialties in dementia
Simpson Memorial Home is also blessed to have a wide variety of local volunteers who serve our residents, thus helping us maintain a resident-centered environment.